Planning Commission Public Hearings
Zoning Ordinance Amendment - Solar Facilities
Notice is hereby given pursuant to Section 15.2-2204 of the Code of Virginia, as amended, that the Page County Planning Commission shall hold a public hearing at 7:00 p.m., on October 13, 2020, in the Board of Supervisors Meeting Room, located in the County Government Center, 103 South Court Street, 2nd Floor, Luray, VA, to receive public comments and to consider the below amendments. Comments will be accepted electronically, by submitting the public comment form on the County website. All comments are due by 12:00 p.m., on October 13, 2020.
The proposed zoning text amendments establish definitions and requirements for construction, operation, and decommissioning of solar facilities and provide standards for the placement, design, construction, monitoring, modification, and removal of solar facilities; address public safety, minimize impacts on scenic, natural, and historic resources; and provide adequate financial assurance for decommissioning. Proposed amendments include:
- Amend Article II, § 125-4, Definitions, to include the following definitions related to solar facilities: Acreage coverage; Applicant; Battery energy storage system; Battery management system; Brownfield; Decommissioning plan; Integrated PV; Operator Owner; Photovoltaic or "PV; Rated capacity; Site plan; Site, solar facility; Solar facility, small-scale; Solar facility, medium-scale; and Solar facility, utility scale.
- Amend Article IV, District Regulations, as follows:
- Amend § 125-8 (Park-Recreation) Subsection C, § 125-9 (Woodland-Conservation) Subsection C, § 125-10 (Agriculture) Subsection C, § 125-11 (Residential) Subsection C, § 125-12 (Commercial) Subsection C, and § 125-13 (Industrial) Subsection C to allow small-scale solar facilities as a permitted accessory use in all zoning districts pursuant to the requirements of Article X.
- Amend § 125-12 (Commercial) Subsection C and § 125-13 (Industrial) Subsection C to allow medium-scale solar facilities as a permitted accessory use pursuant to the requirements of Article X.
- Amend § 125-10 (Agriculture) Subsection C to allow utility-scale solar facilities as a use permitted by special use permit in the A-1 district pursuant to Article X.
- Amend § 125-10 (Agriculture) Subsection D to allow utility-scale solar facilities as a use permitted by special use permit in the A-1 district pursuant to Article X.
- Add a new Article X, Solar Facilities, to establish requirements and procedures for the construction, operation, and decommissioning of solar facilities, including the following sections: Statement of intent (§ 125-70), Applicability (§ 125-71), Zoning districts (§ 125-72), Applications and procedures (§ 125-73), Neighborhood meeting (§ 125-74), Minimum Development standards (§ 125-75), Decommissioning (§ 125-76), Coordination of local emergency services (§ 125-77), and Conditions (§ 125-78).
A complete copy of the full text of the proposed ordinance may be reviewed and inspected below. For inquiries on the proposed amendments, please contact the Page County Planning and Community Development Department at 540-743-1324, Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
NOTE: Hearing impaired individuals who need interpreter must notify the office at least seven (7) days prior to the hearing.