Compacting / Recycling Sites
Due to the COVID-19 virus and the health and safety of our employees, the following sites will be closed, effective Tuesday, March 17, 2020 through March 30, 2020.
- Shenandoah Recycling/Convenience Site
- Springfield Recycling/Convenience Site
For your convenience, Battlecreek Landfill, as of now, will remain open, Monday through Saturday, 8 am - 4 pm.
Waste from commercial enterprises, businesses, contractors, rentals, or any source other than residential/household will be prohibited at the sites. Included in this prohibition are agricultural enterprises and waste materials from the management or rental of properties. Waste material from sources other than residential/households must be disposed of at the Battle Creek Landfill. The following wastes are prohibited at the compacting/recycling sites:
- Trees, brush, wood waste, or yard waste
- Tires, asbestos containing materials, drums or pesticide containers
- Large-sized scrap metal items including white goods and appliances such as stoves
- Rough, heavy, or bulky items such as construction debris, demolition debris, lumber, blocks, brick, rubble, furniture, carpet, doors, mattresses, automobiles, windows, pavement, tools, machinery, or storage tanks, even if brought by homeowner or resident rather than a contractor
- Household hazardous wastes such as paint, thinners, or cleaners
- Dead animals, portions of dead animals, or remnants from food processing, i.e. butchering
- Tanks used to store flammable materials such as propane or natural gas
- Hazardous waste materials, or explosive materials, including gunpowder and bullets
- Regulated medical waste, infectious materials
- Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) contaminated soils, or radioactive materials
The following items are accepted at the Compacting/Recycling Sites:
- Plastics #1: soda/water bottles
- Plastics #2: milk jugs/laundry detergent bottles
- Cardboard and mixed paper
- Scrap metal - small in size
- Glass/Ceramics (all colors)
- Aluminum cans
In order to help us with recycling efforts, please follow our best practices listed here.
The County does not allow items to be removed from compacting/recycling sites. Please take items that are in good condition to one of the local Page One facilities located in Luray and Shenandoah.