Compacting / Recycling Sites
- Trailers are not permitted at any of the Compactor Sites.
- Large loads are considered to be any load larger than one layer of bags in a truck per day or any load containing materials that cannot be compacted, such as spring cleaning and/or house clean-out materials.
- Large loads are determined by the attendant on duty.
Waste from commercial enterprises, businesses, contractors, rentals, or any source other than residential/household will be prohibited at the sites. Included in this prohibition are agricultural enterprises and waste materials from the management or rental of properties. Waste material from sources other than residential/households must be disposed of at the Battle Creek Landfill. The following wastes are prohibited at the compacting/recycling sites:
- Trees, brush, wood waste, or yard waste
- Tires, asbestos containing materials, drums or pesticide containers
- Large-sized scrap metal items including white goods and appliances such as stoves
- Rough, heavy, or bulky items such as construction debris, demolition debris, lumber, blocks, brick, rubble, furniture, carpet, doors, mattresses, automobiles, windows, pavement, tools, machinery, or storage tanks, even if brought by homeowner or resident rather than a contractor
- Household hazardous wastes such as paint, thinners, or cleaners
- Dead animals, portions of dead animals, or remnants from food processing, i.e. butchering
- Tanks used to store flammable materials such as propane or natural gas
- Hazardous waste materials, or explosive materials, including gunpowder and bullets
- Regulated medical waste, infectious materials
- Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) contaminated soils, or radioactive materials
The following items are accepted at the Compacting/Recycling Sites:
- Plastics #1: soda/water bottles
- Plastics #2: milk jugs/laundry detergent bottles
- Cardboard and mixed paper
- Scrap metal - small in size
- Glass/Ceramics (all colors)
- Aluminum cans
In order to help us with recycling efforts, please follow our best practices listed here Version OptionsCompacting / Recycling SitesHeadline.
Metal items that are large in size need to be taken to the Battle Creek Landfill for recycling. Appliances, electronics, refrigeration units, yard waste and brush must also be taken to the Battle Creek Landfill for recycling. Tires, construction/contractor debris and bulky loose items will be accepted at the Battle Creek Landfill for a fee.
The County does not allow items to be removed from compacting/recycling sites. Please take items that are in good condition to one of the local Page One facilities located in Luray and Shenandoah.